|Course||Code||Year||Course - Attendance||Bulletin board|
|PATOLOGIA MOLECOLARE E IMMUNOPATOLOGIA||1041600||2020/2021|
|BASI MOLECOLARI E CELLULARI DELLA VITA||1034944||2020/2021|
|BASI MOLECOLARI E CELLULARI DELLA VITA||1034944||2019/2020|
Lun- Ven 9,30-13.00
Via dei Sardi ,70 Stanza A4
Curriculum Vitae et Studiorum
Author ID: 8971159400
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-1040-452X
Languages: Italian, English
Professional address: Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"
Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Phone: +39 06 49917602; Fax: +39 06 49917594
2006 PhD defended at the Department of Cell Biology and Development University of Rome La Sapienza . Final dissertation: "Divergent effects of Beryllium and Cobalt on
survival and differentiation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells "
2003 State assessment examination for professional Biologists at Sapienza University of Rome.
2002 Degree: BSc. cum laude, Department of Cell Biology and Development University of Rome La Sapienza . Final dissertation: "Identification and characterization of a haplotype which correlates with increased susceptibility to Ankylosing Spondylitis in the Sardinian population ".
Areas of interests
Research on the molecular basis of multifactorial diseases; genetic association and functional analysis of genes involved in modulating the inflammatory response; studies on the hypersensitivity reactions induced by inhalation of metal dust particles.
May 2016- : RTD-A at Dept. of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin" Sapienza - University of Rome
2013-2014 Research grant: "Predisposing factors in autoimmune diseases: correlation between common genetic variations and functions." Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2011-2013 Research grant "Analysis of new paths of presentation of the specific HLA-B27 antigens: implications in autoimmune diseases and in response to the virus." Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2010-2011 Research grant "Biological properties of HLA-B27 and their relationship with Ankylosing Spondylitis." Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2009-2010 Research grant "Functional and genetic basis of autoimmune response." Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2008-2009 Research grant "Immunomodulating signals in the genesis of autoimmune diseases." Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2007-2008 Appointed to Collaboration at the Department of Pediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome; regional project CYSTIC FIBROSIS 02/03. Research project: "Statistical analysis of genetic data related to cystic fibrosis." Group leader: Prof. Serena Quattrucci, Department of Pediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome.
2003-2007 PhD fellow at the Department of Cell Biology and Development University of Rome La Sapienza (Italy). Research project: Heavy metals and chronic inflammation . Supervisor: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"- Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
2002-2003 (June-October) Short term fellow (Institute Pasteur Fondazione Cenci-Bolognetti)
2001-2002 Undergraduate project as degree thesis concerning polymorphisms associated with the onset of Ankylosing Spondylitis. Group leader: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino, Department of Cell Biology and Development, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
CELL BIOLOGY Eukaryotic cells: primary cultures of cell lines isolated from peripheral blood and tumors. Depletion of cellular subpopulations. Transformation of B lymphocytes with Epstein Barr. Generation and production of dendritic cells, macrophages and antigen-specific. T-lymphocytes. Analysis of effector functions of T cells. ELISPOT. Direct and indirect immunofluorescence. Expert in cytometry and fluorescence microscopy.
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY: Nucleic acids extraction. DNA sequencing. Reverse transcription, PCR, Real-timePCR, Southern Blotting, Dot Blot, EMSA, Chip. Gene cloning and transfection. Identification of polymorphisms by restriction analysis, heteroduplex analysis, SSCP and Real-time PCR (allelic discrimination). Analysis of expression and function of microRNA.
BIOCHEMISTRY: Expression, production and purification of recombinant proteins. Protein extraction and analysis by immunoprecipitation, western blotting. Densitometric analysis of bands by autoradiography. ELISAs.
Digital competence: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Adobe PhotoShop Statistical analysis (R), Data analysis (ABI ImageLab, ImageJ, BD CellQuest Pro, ZEN microscope software, GraphPad Prism).
Teaching and Tutoring Activity
Practical training and supervisor of undergraduate and graduate students at "Sapienza" University of Rome, degree course in Biological Sciences, laboratory of Experimental Pathology coordinated by Prof. Rosa Sorrentino. Seminars and tutorials for students of General Pathology, "Sapienza" University of Rome, degree course in Biological Sciences.
Appointment as expert on the subject in the academic years 2006/2014 for the commission of exams: Course of General Pathology, "Sapienza" University of Rome (Chairman of the Board: Prof. Rosa Sorrentino).
2010-present: Reviewer for PLoS ONE, Current Pharmaceutical Design, Iranian Journal of Immunology, Immunology Letters, IMH, Clinical and Experimental Immunology, Human Immunology.
List of publications
1. Paladini F, Fiorillo MT, Tedeschi V, Cauli A., Mathieu A, Sorrentino R: Ankylosing Spondylitis: a trade off of HLA-B27, ERAP and pathogen interconnections? Focus on Sardinia. Front Immunol. 2019, IF 5.511 (5-years IF:6.059) in Press.
2. Angioni MM, Piga M, Paladini F, Lai S, Erre GL, Floris A, Cauli A, Fiorillo MT, Passiu G, Carcassi C, Sorrentino R, Mathieu A. AIF-1 gene does not confer susceptibility to Behçet's disease: Analysis of extended haplotypes in Sardinian population. PLoS One. 2018, 13(9):e0204250. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0204250. IF 2.766 (5-years IF:3.352)
3. Cauli A, Dessole G, Piga M, Angioni MM, Pinna S, Floris A, Congia M, Mascia E, Paladini F, Tedeschi V, Sorrentino R, Fiorillo MT, Mathieu A. Expression analysis of HLA-E and NKG2A and NKG2C receptors points at a role for natural killer function in ankylosing spondylitis. RMD Open. 2018, 4(2):e000597. doi: 10.1136/rmdopen-2017-000597.
4. Paladini F*, Fiorillo MT, Vitulano C, Tedeschi V, Piga M, Cauli A, Mathieu A, Sorrentino R*. An allelic variant in the intergenic region between ERAP1 and ERAP2 correlates with an inverse expression of the two genes. Sci Rep. 2018, 8(1):10398. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-28799-8. *Co-corresponding author. IF 4.122 (5-years IF:4.609)
5. Fiorillo MT, Paladini F, Tedeschi V, Sorrentino R. HLA Class I or Class II and Disease Association: Catch the Difference If You Can. Front Immunol. 2017, 8:1475. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.01475. IF 5.511 (5-years IF:6.059)
6. Vitulano C, Tedeschi V, Paladini F, Sorrentino R, Fiorillo MT. The interplay between HLA-B27 and ERAP1/ERAP2 aminopeptidases: from anti-viral protection to spondyloarthritis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2017, 190(3):281-290. doi: 10.1111/cei.13020. Review. IF 3.542 (5-years IF:3.234)
7. Tedeschi V, Vitulano C, Cauli A, Paladini F, Piga M, Mathieu A, Sorrentino R, Fiorillo MT. The Ankylosing Spondylitis-associated HLA-B*2705 presents a B*0702-restricted EBV epitope and sustains the clonal amplification of cytotoxic T cells in patients. Mol Med. 2016, 18;22. doi: 10.2119/molmed.2016.00031. IF 3.340 (5-years IF:3.956)
8. Camilli G, Cassotta A, Battella S, Palmieri G, Santoni A, Horejsi V, Paladini F, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. Regulation and trafficking of the HLA-E molecules during monocyte-macrophage differentiation. J Leuk Biol 2016, 99(1):121-30. IF 4.224 (5-years IF:4.417)
9. Paladini F*, Porciello N, Camilli G, Tuncer S, Cocco E, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in the 3 UTR of VPAC-1 cooperate in modulating gene expression and impact differently on the Interaction with miR525-5p. PLoS One. 2014, 9(11):e112646. IF 2.766 (5-years IF:3,352). * corresponding author.
10. Piga M, Paladini F, Lai S, Erre G, Passiu G, Carcassi C, Sorrentino R, Mathieu A. Genetics of Behçet's disease in Sardinia: two distinct extended HLA haplotypes harbour the B*51 allele in the normal population and in patients. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012, 30 S51-56- IF: 3.201 (5-years IF: 3.208).
11. Magnacca A, Persiconi I, Nurzia E, Caristi S, Meloni F, Barnaba V, Paladini F, Raimondo D, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. Characterization of a proteasome and TAP-independent presentation of intracellular epitopes by HLA-B27 molecules. J Biol Chem 2012, 287(36):30358-67. IF: 4.011 (5-years IF: 4.254).
12. Paladini F, Adinolfi V, Cocco E, Ciociola E, Tamburrano G, Cascino I, Lucantoni F, Morano S, Sorrentino R. Gender-dependent genetic association of type 2 diabetes with the vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor 1. Gene. 2012, 10;493(2): 278-81. IF: 2.498 (5-years IF: 2.610).
13. Evans DM, Spencer CC, Pointon JJ, Su Z, Harvey D, Kochan G, Oppermann U, Dilthey A,Pirinen M, Stone MA, Appleton L, Moutsianas L, Leslie S, Wordsworth T, Kenna TJ, Karaderi T, Thomas GP, Ward MM, Weisman MH, Farrar C, Bradbury LA, Danoy P, Inman RD, Maksymowych W, Gladman D, Rahman P; Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada (SPARCC), Morgan A, Marzo-Ortega H, Bowness P, Gaffney K, Gaston JS, Smith M, Bruges-Armas J, Couto AR, Sorrentino R, Paladini F, Ferreira MA, Xu H, Liu Y, Jiang L, Lopez-Larrea C, Díaz-Peña R,López-Vázquez A, Zayats T, Band G, Bellenguez C, Blackburn H, Blackwell JM, Bramon E, Bumpstead SJ, Casas JP, Corvin A, Craddock N, Deloukas P, Dronov S, Duncanson A, Edkins S, Freeman C, Gillman M, Gray E, Gwilliam R, Hammond N, Hunt SE, Jankowski J, Jayakumar A, Langford C, Liddle J, Markus HS, Mathew CG, McCann OT, McCarthy MI, Palmer CN, Peltonen L, Plomin R, Potter SC, Rautanen A, Ravindrarajah R, Ricketts M, Samani N, Sawcer SJ, Strange A, Trembath RC, Viswanathan AC, Waller M, Weston P, Whittaker P, Widaa S, Wood NW, McVean G, Reveille JD, Wordsworth BP, Brown MA, Donnelly P; Australo-Anglo-American Spondyloarthritis Consortium (TASC); Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2 (WTCCC2). Interaction between ERAP1 and HLA-B27 in ankylosing spondylitis implicates peptide handling in the mechanism for HLA-B27 in disease susceptibility . Nat Genet. 2011, 10;43(8):761-7. IF: 36.377 (5-years IF: 32.701).
14. Paladini F*, Cocco E, Potolicchio I, Fazekasova H, Lombardi G, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. Divergent effect of Cobalt and Beryllium salts on the fate of perIFheral blood monocytes and T lymphocyte. Toxicol Sci. 2011, 119:257-69. IF: 4.181 (5-years IF: 4.330). *corresponding author.
15. Cocco E*, Paladini F*, Macino G, Fulci V, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. The Expression of Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Receptor 1 is negatively modulated by MicroRNA 525-5p . PLoS One. 2010;5(8):e12067. IF 2.766 (5-years IF:3.352). *Equal contributors
16. Nurzia E, Panimolle F, Cauli A, Mathieu A, Magnacca A, Paladini F, Sorrentino R, Fiorillo MT. CD8+ T-cell mediated self-reactivity in HLA-B27 context as a consequence of dual peptide conformation. Clin Immunol, 2010, 135(3):476-82. IF: 3.557 (5-years IF: (3.930).
17. Paladini F, Belfiore F, Cocco E, Carcassi C, Cauli A, Vacca A, Fiorillo MT, Mathieu A, Cascino I, Sorrentino R. HLA-E gene polymorphism associates with ankylosing spondylitis in Sardinia Arth Res Ther, 2009, 11(6): R171. IF: 4.269 (5-years IF: 4.668).
18. Paladini F, Cocco E, Cascino I, Belfiore F, Badiali D, Piretta L, Alghisi F , Anzini F , Fiorillo MT, Corazziari E and Sorrentino R. Age-dependent association of Idiopathic Achalasia with Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Receptor 1 gene." Neurogastroenterol Motil, 2009, 21(6): 597-602. IF: 3.842 (5-years IF: 3.888).
19. Mathieu A, Paladini F, Vacca A, Cauli A, Fiorillo MT, Sorrentino R. The interplay between the geographic distribution of HLA-B27 alleles and their role in infectious and autoimmune diseases: a unifying hypothesis . Autoimmun Rev 2009, 8(5): 420-425. IF: 8.745 (5-years IF: 7.733).
20. Paladini F, Cocco E, Cauli A, Cascino I, Vacca A, Belfiore F, Fiorillo M T, Mathieu A, Sorrentino R. A functional polymorphism of the vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor 1 gene correlates with the presence of HLA-B (*)2705 in Sardinia Genes Immun 2008, 9(8): 659-667. IF: 2.339 (5-years IF: 2.534).
21. Beltrami A, Rossmann M, Fiorillo MT, Paladini F, Sorrentino R, Saenger W, Kumar P, Ziegler A, Uchanska-Ziegler B. Citrullination-dependent differential presentation of a self-peptide by HLA-B27 subtypes . J Biol Chem, 2008, 283 (40): 27189-27199. IF: 4.011 (5-years IF: 4.254).
22. Cascino I, Paladini F, Belfiore F, Cauli A, Angelini C, Fiorillo MT, Mathieu A, Sorrentino R. Identification of Previously Unrecognized Predisposing Factors for Ankylosing Spondylitis From Analysis of HLA B27 Extended Haplotypes in Sardinia. Arthritis Rheum 2007, 56(8): 2640-2651. IF: 7.873 (5-years IP: 7.877).
23. Paladini F, Taccari E, Fiorillo MT, Cauli A, Passiu G, Mathieu A, Punzi L, Lapadula G, Scarpa R, Sorrentino R. Distribution of HLA-B27 subtypes in Sardinia and continental Italy and their association with Spondyloartropathies. Arthritis Rheum 2005, 52(10): 3319-3321. IF: 7.873 (5-years IF: 7.877).
Manuscripts submitted for publication:
24. Paladini F, Fiorillo MT, Tedeschi V, D Otolo V, Piga M, Cauli A, Mathieu A, Sorrentino R.
An ERAP2 promoter variant protects from ankylosing spondylitis in Sardinia and affects the expression of the HLA-B27 molecules. Rheumatology: under second revision.
4th Europeanl Congress of Immunology (ICI) September 6-9, 2015 Vienna, Austria.
Poster: HLA-B2705 and its double implication in viral defense and autoimmunity: unpredicted presentation of an immunodominant viral epitope devoid of the classical B27 binding motif . V Tedeschi, C Vitulano,A Mathieu, F Paladini, D Kormann, R Bockmann, R Sorrentino and MT Fiorillo.
15th International Congress of Immunology (ICI) August 22-27, 2013 Milan, Italy.
Poster: Modulation of NKG2D and NKG2A ligands expression during monocyte differentiation . G Camilli, F Paladini, A Cassotta, R La Scaleia, S Battella, MT Fiorillo, G Palmieri, A Santoni and R Sorrentino.
Congr Naz Soc Ital Diabetologia. (2012) Torino, Italy
In IL DIABETE, ISSN: 0394-901X,
Poster: Associazione sesso-specifica tra polimorfismi del recettore 1 del peptide vasoattivo intestinale e diabete di tipo 2 . Adinolfi V, Paladini F, Fallarino M, Carnovale A, Rossetti M, Turinese I, Tamburrano G, Ciociola E, Lucantoni F, Sorrentino R, Morano S.
12th FISV CONGRESS. September 24-27, 2012 Rome, Italy.
Poster: Modulation of HLA-E expression during monocyte differentiation and activation . G Camilli, F Paladini, A Cassotta, S Tuncer, R La Scaleia, S Battella, MT Fiorillo, G Palmieri, A Santoni and R Sorrentino.
SIICA WorKShop- Innate immunità in the pathogenesis of immune-mediated human diseases November 2-4, 2010 Rozzano (Milan), Italy.
Poster: MicroRNA 525 regulates the expression of vasoactive Intestinal peptide Receptor1 . E Cocco, F Paladini, G Macino, V Fulci, MT Fiorillo and R Sorrentino.
44th Annual Scientific Meeting of the European Society for Clinical Investigation February 24-27, 2010 ICC Bari, Italy Partecipazione finanziata da Travel grant .
Poster: Divergent action of Cobalt and Beryllium salts on the fate of peripheral blood monocytes and lymphocytes: a possible correlation with the distinct pathogenesis for Hard metal Lung disease and Chronic Beryllium disease . F Paladini, E Cocco, H Fazegasova, G Lombardi, MT Fiorillo and R Sorrentino.
2nd European Congress of Immunology September 13-16, 2009 ICC Berlin. Berlin, Germany. Partecipazione finanziata da Travel grant .
Poster: Fine mapping of the HLA region shows that other genes besides HLA-B27 could contribute to the susceptibility to Ankylosing Spondylitis: a possible role of the Natural Killer function . F Paladini, I Cascino, E Cocco, F Belfiore, A Cauli, MT Fiorillo, A Mathieu and R Sorrentino.
Poster: The influence of single nucleotide polymorphisms on the expression of type 1 receptor for the vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) in monocytes . E Cocco, F Paladini, A Cauli, I Cascino, A Vacca, F Belfiore, MT Fiorillo, A Mathieu and R Sorrentino.
22nd EMDS Annual meeting, European Macrophages & Dendritic Cell Society, Diversity and plasticity of the Innate Immune Response - School of Medicine, University of Brescia September 18Th-20Th, 2008, Brescia (Italy).
Poster: A differential distribution of a functional polymorphism in the HLA-E gene in Sardinia suggests a possible role of natural Killer function in Ankylosing Spondylitis pathogenesis . F Paladini, I Cascino, E Cocco, F Belfiore, A Cauli, A Mathieu and R Sorrentino.
6th National Conference SIICA, Italian Society Immunology, Clinical Immunology and Allergology, June 11-14, 2008, Roma, Italy.
Poster: Down-modulation of the Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Receptor 1 correlates with a functional polymorphism in the 3 UTR region and shows co-occurrence with HLA-B*2705 in Sardinia . F Paladini, E Cocco, A Cauli, I Cascino, A Vacca, MT Fiorillo, A Mathieu and R Sorrentino.
8° Convegno FISV, 28 Settembre-1 Ottobre 2006. Palazzo dei Congressi Riva del Garda (TN) Italia.
Poster: Cobalt and Beryllium: divergent surviving factors for monocytes and lymphocytes . F Paladini, E Cocco, I Potolicchio, H Fazegasova, G Lombardi and R Sorrentino.
16th European Congress of Immunology, September 6-9, 2006. Palais des Congrès, Paris France.
Poster: Divergent action of cobalt salts on the fate of peripheral blood monocytes and T lymphocytes . F Paladini, I Potolicchio, E Cocco, H Fazegasova, G Lombardi and R Sorrentino.
12th International Congress of Immunology and the 4th Annual Conference, July 18-23 2004. Montreal, Canada.
Poster: Analysis of T cell responses to VPAC-1 400-408 and homologous peptides from self and microbical proteins in patients with Ankilosing Spondylitis . R Sorrentino, F Paladini, R Moretti, F Bettosini, MT Fiorillo.