The course GIS and thematic mapping starts on the 26th of September and is held on
Tuesday 9-11.00 Building CU009, Classroom 10
Friday 9-11.00 Building CU005, Classroom 5
The course provides theoretical and practical training on:
- GIS thematic mapping
- Land use and cover change
- Species distribution models
- Case studies on:
- Deforestation and forest degradation
- Climate Change Impact
- Desertification and land degradation
- Invasive Alien Species
- Protected areas management
Case studies will be selected from ongoing projects in Africa, the Balkans, the Middle East, South America, the Pacific Ocean
Each Tuesday, Room 9, Ground floor, Department of Environmental Biology.
An appointment can be made by email with the professor.
Fifteen years of experience in environmental cooperation programs in several biodiversity hotspots of the world (Galapagos Archipelago Ecuador, Socotra archipelago - Yemen, Protected areas of Albania, Great Limpopo Transfrontier Area - South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Papua New Guinea) allowed me to develop deep knowledge about different ecosystems and environmental issues. My main research fields are:
application of spatial models to assess the conservation status of species and habitats
support the management of protected areas,
evaluate the impact of climate change and alien species on ecosystems.
I am also collaborating with national and international working groups aimed at assessing the conservation status of habitats and elaborating effective conservation strategies.
Teaching: Ecosystem Approach to the Conservation of Biodiversity (MSc in Eco-Biology, Sapienza University of Rome) GIS and thematic mapping (MSc in Natural Science, Sapienza University of Rome)
- Scientific Coordinator of the SECOSUD II Project (http://www.secosud2project.com/): Conservation and equitable use of biological diversity in the SADC region: from geographic information system (GIS) to Spatial Systemic Decision Support System (SSDSS) .
- Scientific Coordinator of the NaturAl Project (http://www.natura.al): Biodiversity conservation in Albania through improved management of its protected areas and setting basis for the future implementation of European Natura 2000 network .
- Scientific coordinator of an operational unit of the CS-Mon Life Project (http://www.csmon-life.eu): using a citizen science approach on biodiversity in Italy.