Dal giorno mercoledì 11/03/2020 le lezioni proseguono in teledidattica tramite google meet
negli orari e nei giorni previsti per la didattica frontale normale.
Full Professor – Dipartimento di Fisica
Senior fellow – Scuola Superiore di Studi Avanzati Sapienza (SSAS)
Dipartimento di Fisica, Building Fermi, 5th Floor, Room 507
Università di Roma
Piazzale Aldo Moro 2
00185 Roma, Italia
Main research activities
Experimental quantum optics, quantum computation and information. Foundations of Quantum Mechanics
Fabio Sciarrino is Full Professor at the Physics Department of the University of Rome La Sapienza and Senior Research Fellow at the International School for Advanced Studies Sapienza, SSAS. He is Principal Investigator of the Quantum Information Lab, Department of Physics, Sapienza University of Rome (www.quantumlab.it). His main expertise is experimental quantum optics, computation and quantum information, and foundations of quantum mechanics. In recent years his research activity has focused on the implementation of quantum information protocols via integrated photonic circuits, with particular interest for Boson Sampling, a non-universal computational model with promising characteristics to achieve the quantum supremacy regime.
In 2012 he was awarded an ERC-Starting Grant Consolidator funded by the European Research Council for his project on integrated quantum photonics (www.3dquest.eu) and later in 2015 of the ERC-Proof of Concept 3D-COUNT. He was European coordinator of the Marie Curie Network PICQUE project (Photonic Integrated Compound Quantum Encoding: www.picque.eu) of the Future and Emerging Technologies project QUCHIP (Photonics Quantum Simulator on a Chip: www.quchip.eu). He has received several awards, including the “Le Scienze per la Fisica” Medal together with the “Medal of the Presidency of the Republic” and the “Sapio Junior Award for Italian Research” (http://www.premiosapio.it/). In 2015 and in 2016 he was selected by the World Economic Forum as an Awarded Young Scientist to attend the Annual Meeting of the New Champions “Summer Davos” in China along with 40 other scientists from all over the world. He is author of more than 150 publications in international journals (with more than 25 publications on Nature and Science journals) and over 150 invited presentations to national and international conferences. He teaches the Optical Laboratory (3rd year Bachelor’s Degree in Physics) and Quantum Information (2nd year Master’s Degree in Physics).
In 2012 he was awarded an ERC-Starting Grant Consolidator funded by the European Research Council for his project on integrated quantum photonics (www.3dquest.eu) and later in 2015 of the ERC-Proof of Concept 3D-COUNT. He was European coordinator of the Marie Curie Network PICQUE project (Photonic Integrated Compound Quantum Encoding: www.picque.eu) of the Future and Emerging Technologies project QUCHIP (Photonics Quantum Simulator on a Chip: www.quchip.eu). He has received several awards, including the Le Scienze per la Fisica Medal together with the Medal of the Presidency of the Republic and the Sapio Junior Award for Italian Research (http://www.premiosapio.it/). In 2015 and in 2016 he was selected by the World Economic Forum as an Awarded Young Scientist to attend the Annual Meeting of the New Champions Summer Davos in China along with 40 other scientists from all over the world. He is author of more than 150 publications in international journals (with more than 25 publications on Nature and Science journals) and over 150 invited presentations to national and international conferences. He teaches the Optical Laboratory (3rd year Bachelor s Degree in Physics) and Quantum Information (2nd year Master s Degree in Physics).
2019 - Current Full Professor of Experimental Physics of Matter, Dipartimento di Fisica, Sapienza Università di Roma
2019 - Current Deputy Director - Sapienza School for Advanced Studies (SSAS): https://web.uniroma1.it/sssas/
2018 - 2021 Senior Research Fellow Sapienza School for Advanced Studies (SSAS): https://web.uniroma1.it/sssas/
2014 - 2018 Associate Professor of Experimental Physics of Matter, Dipartimento di Fisica, Sapienza Università di Roma
2013 - 2016 Junior Research Fellow, Sapienza School for Advanced Studies (SSAS): https://web.uniroma1.it/sssas/
2014 - 2017 Pesquisador Visitante Especial (Special Visiting Researcher) - Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico; Universidad Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
2008 - 2014 Permanent Researcher, Dipartimento di Fisica, Sapienza Università di Roma
2006 - 2008 New Talent Research Fellowship, Centro Studi e Ricerche "Enrico Fermi", Rome, Italy
2004 - 2005 Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica della Materia, Rome, Italy
February 2000 PhD in Physics at Sapienza Università di Roma, Italy
Supervisor: Prof. Francesco De Martini; Grade: Outstanding
July 1996 Master degree (Laurea) in Physics at Università di Napoli Federico II ,, Italy
Advisor: Prof. Salvatore Solimeno; Grade: 110/110 cum laude
Awards and Honors
2017 Award for excellent teaching activity, Science Faculty, Sapienza University of Rome.
2016 Honoured as Young Scientist at the Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2016.
2015 Honoured as Young Scientist at the Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2015 - World Economic Forum (WEF)
Summer Davos - Dalian (Overall 40 Young Scientists selected worldwide).
2014 Sapio Junior per la Ricerca Italiana Award ( 15.000) XIV Edizione, given each year to an Italian researcher under
the age of 36 years working in any field (www.premiosapio.it).
2014 Talent award within the Spinning the Wheel project organized by Pirelli .
2012 ERC Starting Grant - Consolidator awarded by the European Research Council.
2012 Italian Habilitation as Full Professor in the topic 02/B1 Experimental Physics of Matter.
2011 The Sapienza Ricerca 2011- Under 40 s Prize [Premio Fondazione Sapienza].
2008 Medaglia Le Scienze per la Fisica Award for young Italian researcher in physics
Medal for scientific merits awarded by the President of Italian Republic
2006 New Talent scientist award, Academia Ponteficia delle Scienza, Vatican.
2006 Award Premio di operosità scientifica from Società Italiana di Fisica.
Selected organization of scientific meetings (2013-2019)
2019 Co-director, Quantum Information and Measurement - OSA
2019 Chair, Quantum Information and Measurement OSA; Rome
2017 Chair, International Conference on Integrated Quantum Photonics, Rome.
2016 Chair, Scientific Committee, 9th Italian Quantum Information Science Conference, Rome.
2015 Chair, PICQUE Scientific School in Integrated photonics quantum applications, Rome.
2015 Co-chair, Symposium on Integrated Quantum Optics, CLEO/Europe-EQEC 2015, Munich
2013 - 2015 Member of Program Committee, SPIE International Symposium on Optics and Optoelectronics, Prague, Czech Republic.
2015 Member of Program Committee, 14th ICSSUR, Poland.
2015 Member of Program Committee, Quantum Electronics-Frontier of Optics - OSA, San Jose.
2015 Member of Scientific Committee, Scientific School In Integrated Photonics, Varenna, Italy.
2013 - 2015 Member of Scientific Committee, Workshop: Quantum Correlations , Brazil.
Teaching activities (2010-2018)
2016 - 2020 Laboratory of Optics (3rd year, Bachelor in Physics), Sapienza Università di Roma
2017 - 2020 Photonic technologies, Sapienza School for Advanced Studies-SSAS.
2014 - 2016 Laboratory of Mechanics (1st year, Bachelor in Physics), Sapienza Università di Roma.
2015 - 2016 Foundations of Quantum Mechanics (Students in Science and Technology), Sapienza School for Advanced Studies-SSAS.
2014 - 2015 Photonics (medical students), Sapienza School for Advanced Studies-SSAS.
2010 - 2018 Quantum Information and Computation (2nd year master students in Physics), Sapienza.
2008 - 2015 Quantum Information (Lectures for PhD students), Sapienza.
180 publications in scientific journals (>75 papers in high impact factor journals IF>5):
31 in Physical Review Letters, 3 in Physical Review X, 1 in Review of Modern Physics
12 as lead author and 8 as Rome Group Leader
28 publications in journals belonging to Nature and Science groups (22 publications since 2007)
13 as lead author and 7 as Rome Group Leader
3 Nature (1 Editorial), 7 Nature Photonics, 11 Nature Communications, 2 Nature Phys. (1 News & Views), 3 Science Advances, 2 Light Science & Applications
>9000 in Google Scholar (> 5700 in ISI Web-of-Science (WoS))
h-index = 50 in Google Scholar (h-index = 40 in ISI WoS)
1. J. Wang, F. Sciarrino, A. Laing, M.G. Thompson, Integrated Photonic Quantum Technologies , Nature Photonics (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41566-019-0532-1
2. F. Flamini, N. Spagnolo, F. Sciarrino, Photonic quantum information processing: a review , Rep. Progr. Phys. 82, 016001 (2019)
3. D.J. Brod, E. F. Galvao, A. Crespi, R. Osellame, N. Spagnolo, F. Sciarrino, Photonic implementation of Boson Sampling: a review , Adv. Phot. 1, 034001 (2019).
4. L. Sansoni, N. Spagnolo, C. Vitelli, F. Sciarrino, and P. Mataloni, Simulating quantum physics by integrated photonic circuits in detector technology , Nuovo Saggiatore 5, 5 (2013).
5. F. De Martini, and F. Sciarrino, Multiparticle quantum superpositions and the quantum-to-classical transition , review article Review of Modern Physics 84, 1765 (2012).
6. L. Marrucci, , B. Piccirillo, E. Santamato, E. Nagali, and F. Sciarrino, Spin-to-orbital conversion of the angular momentum of light and its classical and quantum applications , J. Opt. 13, 064001 (2011).
Selected invited articles
1. T. Oni, F. Sciarrino, G. Adesso, and R. Knight, Let researchers try new paths , Nature 538, 451 (2016).
2. F. Sciarrino, Quantum optics: Micro meets macro , Nature Physics 9, 529 (2013).
3. F. Sciarrino, and P. Mataloni, Insight on future quantum networks, Commentary on Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, (2012).
Selected list of publications in peer-reviewed journals (2013-2019)
1. V. Cimini, I. Gianani, N. Spagnolo, F. Leccese, F. Sciarrino, M. Barbieri, Calibration of quantum sensors by neural networks , Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 230502 (2019)
2. D. Poderini, R. Chaves, I. Agresti, G. Carvacho, F. Sciarrino, Exclusivity graph approach to Instrumental inequalities , Proceedings of Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), (2019).
3. A. Rocchetto, S. Aaronson, S. Severini, G. Carvacho, D. Poderini, I. Agresti, M. Bentivegna and F. Sciarrino, Experimental learning of quantum states , Science Advances 5, eaau1946 (2019)
4. A. Crespi, , F. Sciarrino, , and R. Osellame Experimental Investigation of Quantum Decay at Short, Intermediate, and Long Times via Integrated Photonics , Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 130401 (2019)
5. D.J. Brod, E. F. Galvao, N. Viggianiello, F. Flamini, N. Spagnolo, F. Sciarrino, Witnessing Genuine Multiphoton Indistinguishability , Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 063602 (2019)
6. I. Agresti, N. Viggianiello, F. Flamini, N. Spagnolo, A. Crespi, R. Osellame, N. Wiebe, F. Sciarrino, Pattern recognition techniques for Boson Sampling validation , Phys. Rev. X 9, 011013 (2019)
7. T. Giordani, E. Polino, .,, L. Marrucci, M. Paternostro, A. Ferraro, N. Spagnolo, F. Sciarrino, Experimental Engineering of Arbitrary Qudit States with Discrete-time Quantum Walks , Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 020503 (2019)
8. V. D Ambrosio, G. Carvacho, I. Agresti, L. Marrucci, F. Sciarrino, Tunable Two-Photon Quantum Interference of Structured Light, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 013601 (2019)
9. A. Büse, , F. Sciarrino, L. Marrucci, G. Molina-Terrizam. Symmetry Protection of Photonic Entanglement in the Interaction with a Single Nanoaperture , Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 173901 (2018)
10. G. Carvacho, , M. Bentivegna, V. D Ambrosio, P. Skrzypczyk, I. upi , D. Cavalcanti, F. Sciarrino, Experimental Study of Nonclassical Teleportation Beyond Average Fidelity , Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 140501 (2018)
11. Challenging local realism with human choices The BIG Bell Test Collaboration C. Abellán, et al., Nature 557, pp. 212 216 (2018)
12. A. Cuevaset al., First observation of the quantized exciton-polariton field and effect of interactions on a single polariton , Science Advances 4, eaao6814 (2018)
13. T. Giordani, F , N. Spagnolo, A. Crespi, R. Osellame, N. Wiebe, M. Walschaers, A. Buchleitner, F. Sciarrino, Experimental statistical signature of many-body quantum interference , Nature Photonics 12, 173 178 (2018)
14. R. Chaves, G. Carvacho, I. Agresti, V. Di Giulio, L. Aolita, S. Giacomini, and F. Sciarrino, Quantum violation of an instrumental test , Nature Physics (2017). doi:10.1038/s41567-017-0008-5
15. L. Pezzè, .., P.C. Humphreys, A. Datta, I.A. Walmsley, M. Barbieri, F. Sciarrino, and A. Smerzi, Optimal measurements for simultaneous quantum estimation of multiple phases , Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 130504 (2017).
16. I. Pitsios, L. Banchi, , and F. Sciarrino, Photonic Simulation of Entanglement Growth After a Spin Chain Quench , Nature Communications 8, 1569 (2017).
17. A. S. Rab, E. Polino, Z.-X. Man, N. B. An, Y.-J. Xia, N. Spagnolo, R. Lo Franco, and F. Sciarrino, Entanglement of photons in their dual wave-particle nature , Nature Communications 8, 915 (2017).
18. G. Carvacho, F. Andreoli, L. Santodonato, M. Bentivegna, R. Chaves, and F. Sciarrino, Experimental non-locality in a quantum network , Nature Communications 8, 14775 (2017).
19. F. Caruso, A. Crespi, A. G. Ciriolo, F. Sciarrino, and R. Osellame, Fast escape of a quantum walker from an integrated photonic maze , Nature Communications 7, 11682 (2016).
20. A. Crespi, , , N. Spagnolo, N. Viggianiello, L. Innocenti, P. Mataloni, F. Sciarrino, Suppression law of quantum states in a 3-D photonic fast Fourier transform chip , Nature Communications 7, 10469 (2016).
21. V. Parigi, V. D Ambrosio, C. Arnold, L. Marrucci, F. Sciarrino and J. Laurat, Storage and retrieval of vector beams of light in a multiple-degree-of-freedom quantum memory , Nature Communications 6, 7706 (2015).
22. M. Bentivegna, .., R. Osellame, and F. Sciarrino, Experimental scattershot boson sampling , Science Advances 1, e1400255 (2015).
23. F. Cardano, F. Massa, , D. Paparo, C. de Lisio, F. Sciarrino, E. Santamato, R. W. Boyd, and L. Marrucci, Quantum walks and wavepacket dynamics on a lattice with twisted photons , Science Advances 1, e1500087 (2015).
24. A. Crespi, .., A. Ciamei, R. Ramponi, F. Sciarrino, P. Mataloni, S. Longhi, and R. Osellame, Particle Statistics Affects Quantum Decay and Fano Interference , Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 090201 (2015).
25. G. Corrielli, , L. Sansoni, A. Santinelli, P. Mataloni, F. Sciarrino, R. Osellame, Integrated optical waveplates for arbitrary operations on polarization-encoded single-qubits , Nature Communications 5, 4249 (2014)
26. N. Spagnolo, C. Vitelli, .., F. Flamini, S. Giacomini, G. Milani, R. Ramponi, P. Mataloni, R. Osellame, E. F. Galvao, F. Sciarrino, Efficient experimental validation of photonic boson sampling , Nature Photonics 8, 615 (2014).
27. V. D'Ambrosio, F. Bisesto, F. Sciarrino, J. F. Barra, G. Lima, A. Cabello, Device-Independent Certification of High-Dimensional Quantum Systems , Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 140503 (2014).
28. G. Adesso, V. D'Ambrosio, E. Nagali, M. Piani, F. Sciarrino, Experimental entanglement activation from discord in a programmable quantum measurement , Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 140501 (2014).
29. N. Spagnolo, Mataloni, F. Sciarrino, D.J. Brod, E.F. Galvão, A. Crespi, R. Ramponi, and R. Osellame, "General Rules for Bosonic Bunching in Multimode Interferometers", Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 130503 (2013).
30. V. D'Ambrosio, , Y. Li, L. C. Kwek, L. Marrucci, S. P. Walborn, L. Aolita, F. Sciarrino, Photonic polarization gears for ultra-sensitive angular measurements , Nature Communications 4, 2432 (2013).
31. F. Sciarrino, Quantum optics: Micro meets macro , Nature Physics 9, 529 (2013).
32. A. Crespi, , D. Brod. E. Galvao, N. Spagnolo, C. Vitelli, E. Maiorini, P. Mataloni, and F. Sciarrino, Experimental boson sampling in arbitrary integrated photonic circuits , Nature Photonics 7, 545 (2013).
33. C. Vitelli, N. Spagnolo, L. Aparo, F. Sciarrino, E. Santamato, L. Marrucci, Joining the quantum state of two photons into one , Nature Photonics 7, 521 (2013).
34. A. Crespi, , V. Giovannetti, R. Fazio, L. Sansoni, F. De Nicola, F. Sciarrino, P. Mataloni, Anderson localization of entangled photons in an integrated quantum walk , Nature Photonics 7, 322 (2013).
35. N. Spagnolo, C. Vitelli, L. Aparo, P. Mataloni, F. Sciarrino, A. Crespi, R. Ramponi, and R. Osellame, Three-photon bosonic coalescence in an integrated tritter , Nature Communications 4, 1606 (2013).
36. V. D'Ambrosio, I. Herbauts, E. Amselem, E. Nagali, M. Bourennane, F. Sciarrino, A. Cabello, Experimental implementation of a Kochen-Specker set of quantum tests , Phys. Rev. X 3, 011012 (2013).
|Insegnamento||Codice||Anno||Corso - Frequentare|
|QUANTUM INFORMATION AND COMPUTATION||10592733||2020/2021||Fisica - Physics|
|OTTICA E LABORATORIO||1018976||2020/2021||Fisica|
|OTTICA E LABORATORIO||1018976||2019/2020||Fisica|
|INFORMAZIONE E COMPUTAZIONE QUANTISTICA||1031061||2019/2020||Fisica|
|INFORMAZIONE E COMPUTAZIONE QUANTISTICA||1031061||2018/2019||Fisica|
|OTTICA E LABORATORIO||1018976||2018/2019||Fisica|
|OTTICA E LABORATORIO||1018976||2017/2018||Fisica|
|INFORMAZIONE E COMPUTAZIONE QUANTISTICA||1031061||2017/2018||Fisica|
|OTTICA E LABORATORIO||1018976||2016/2017||Fisica|
|INFORMAZIONE E COMPUTAZIONE QUANTISTICA||1031061||2016/2017||Fisica|